Re: [opensuse-project] community transition
  • From: Thomas Hertweck <Thomas.Hertweck@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2010 19:13:55 +0100

On 28/09/10 11:00, Henne Vogelsang wrote:
[...]
I am talking about you telling Jos that his opinion counts less (to the
point where you find it ironic) because he's not an old-timer and gets
payed for it (please mind what i quoted and what not) and I strongly
disagree with it. Jos got hired and immediately jumped into a couple of
topics with both feet. No need to question his dedication to our project.

I didn't question his dedication and his contributions at all. It's good
to have him around. I questioned the way he communicated his opinions.
Maybe he is not used to being in such a public position, but when you get
there (and openSUSE community manager is such a position), you definitely
need to be a bit more careful how you phrase things and how you convey a
certain message to your audience (that's certainly something I had to
learn very quickly when I became a manager ;-)). Given the circumstances,
I found his message somewhat bold, in particular when you consider the
criteria that are for instance applied to openSUSE membership applications
("continued and substantial contribution to the openSUSE project"), as
explained and clarified on this very mailing list. Offending managers in
the industry who might be those deciding about openSUSE support and
sponsorship etc in the future, I wouldn't call a smart move to be honest.

Anyway, the situation has been clarified, Jos has explained what happened,
so no hard feelings and let's get on with more important things.

Greetings from London,
Thomas