Re: [opensuse-project] community transition
  • From: DenverD <DenverD@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2010 16:49:02 +0200

Jos Poortvliet wrote:
On Tuesday 21 September 2010 20:52:49 DenverD wrote:
Stephan Kulow wrote:
Am Tuesday 21 September 2010 schrieb DenverD:
DenverD wrote:
[snip]

i wonder what happens if (as has happened too often in
recent weeks) the forum (or mail lists/irc/wiki/etc)
machines/nets need TLC to return to work...[snip]
like now: the gateway between the nntp and http forums has
been down since about midnight in Utah...and (if history
serves as a predictor) it will probably remain down until a
Utah employee gets to work and gets time to fix the problem..

And all volunteers are up 24 hours and don't sleep and have
work to do for a living, right?
perhaps you would have a different view if these mail lists, SUSE
Studio, IRC or your chosen method/communications means to
contribute were unavailable for hours at a time on nine days in
the past three months (2 Jul, 9 Jul, 21 Jul, 15 Aug, 22 Aug, 4
Sep, 13 Sep, 14 Sep, and 21 Sep...was down over seven hours
today)..

we can hope the buyer is able to find volunteer (or contracted)
administrators on three or more sides of earth.

Well if the community is unhappy with the services provided by
Novell and the other sponsors, we can look for money somewhere
else. If you have ideas on how to provide about a 100.000 worth of
bandwith, diskspace and computing power a year, I'm sure the board
loves to hear it. At least, once a foundation has been set up, we
can start planning for improvements in our infrastructure. And I
guess your concerns come with a willingness to do something about
it so we can put you down as volunteer for maintenance, right?

i'm afraid the Community would be *very* disappointed if i volunteered
to maintain our comm links/networks....because if selected all would
suffer from a 'simple user' playing administrator..

on the other hand, i am leveraging my meager technical talents the
best i can to maintain my own system and help those new folks with
even less capability..

additionally, i've been known to make cash (and time) donations to
worthy causes of many ilk (including open source)..

may i ask: is it required to actually _have_ the technical ability to
remedy a problem before one is allowed to voice it? if so, i guess i
better leave.

on the other hand, some may be surprised to know that even those
technologically untrained/unable to keep comm systems/networks humming
along smoothly can (sometimes) recognize when the _system_ of
hardware, software, and _administrator_ availability is broken and/or
not performing at an acceptable or optimal level..

and, for the record: i'm very happy we currently have sponsors with
100,000 available to keep the digits moving....today. and, don't see
the wisdom in waiting until they cease (if they do) to begin taking
steps to find alternative sources and capabilities, *should* they be
needed..

DenverD