Re: [opensuse-project] My Idea of a Good Strategy
  • From: Michael Loeffler <michl@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2010 15:59:11 +0200
On Tuesday 14 September 2010 08:42:32 Vincent Untz wrote:
Le lundi 13 septembre 2010, à 21:21 +0200, Jos Poortvliet a écrit :
On Monday 13 September 2010 20:43:33 Andy wrote:
To me, the best thing that you guys can do is first define "Who do you
want to target?"

Andy, my friend, within a few days the strategy team will release
exactly THAT part of our new "who are we" thing :D

Sweet, I'm eager to see the result :-)

[...]

Amen to that. Powerusers don't want to have to search for something
and things have to work out of the box as much as possible. But they
don't want to be stuck with what they got, either. It's about
balance. And there is still a choice there - if you focus so extremely
on 'novices', as Ubuntu does, you DO de-optimize for powerusers, I
have little doubts about that. I think openSUSE can affort sitting a
bit closer to powerusers - not making things hard but at least making
things accessible to them when they need it. openSUSE has always done
that - which is why it is so popular with system admins and other
experienced computer users. I think we must keep that legacy in
honour, even when we try to make sure everyone can use our software.
Powerusers are ALSO human, despite what you might have heard ;-)

I'm not completely sure I agree with that, but most importantly, if this
will be part of what will be release in the next few days: where do you
draw the line between "novices" and "powerusers"?
I like to cite here Cornelius Schumacher:
The regaion of a power user begins when someone buys once in a while a
computer magazine.

Best
I'm not expecting a
real answer now, but just keep the question in mind for the "who are we"
thing ;-)

Vincent

--
Michael Löffler, Product Management