Re: [opensuse-project] Strategy sucks
  • From: Jan Engelhardt <jengelh@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 9 Sep 2010 13:40:21 +0200 (CEST)

On Thursday 2010-09-09 11:30, Andreas Jaeger wrote:

Initially our goal was to answer: “Who is openSUSE and what does it
(want to) do?”[...] In five years the openSUSE project has evolved
from a fully company-driven project to a communty project where
everybody can contribute. This has brought uncertainty and a lack of
direction.

It looks like Novell unilaterally decided to prioritize GNOME (back
then), while the community always wanted KDE, but the latter was only
really expressible after opening FATE to the public (votes are easier
countable than emails to MLs apparently). Or something like that.
I disagree to blaming openSUSE for causing the confusion.

Perhaps it's time to stop thinking of openSUSE as a "product"
(that sounds just as corporate as "strategy"), and instead
let it become a piece of art, or whatever people call theirs.
(IIRC never seen the word "product" on debian.org, for
instance.)