Re: [opensuse-project] openSUSE Strategy Discussion: Mobile and cloud ready distribution
  • From: Greg Freemyer <greg.freemyer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2010 08:21:37 -0400
On Mon, Jun 28, 2010 at 7:32 PM, Pavol Rusnak <prusnak@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi all!

As we promised earlier[1] starting today we'll be discussing the third
of strategies: Mobile and cloud ready distribution[2]. Please try to add
your comments to particular bulletpoints or sentences, so it is easier
for us to merge your suggestions into final form. Happy discussing!

[1] http://news.opensuse.org/2010/06/17/a-strategy-for-
the-opensuse-project-proposals-and-discussions/
[2] http://en.opensuse.org/Documents/Strategy/Mobile

----8<--------8<--------8<--------8<--------8<--------8<----

openSUSE - Mobile and cloud ready distribution

1.) Statement:

We are the Linux distribution that embraces a mobile and social world
backed by cloud data services delivering a desktop experience best
integrated with those platforms. In addition, we deliver a server
solution to host the data and the development tools for those
platforms and devices. Our target customers are professionals,
developers, IT departments, and mobile consumers.

2.) Use cases:

Fred wants to sync his bookmarks, addresses, files, application data,
etc. between his desktop machines and mobile devices via the cloud in
a seamless manner. Next year, his company plans to run their own
private cloud server infrastructure instead of using a public service.
Fred also wants to easily connect to the most common social network
services out-of-the-box when he installs openSUSE.

3.) Background:

We have discussed our expectations for the future and we understand
the "Google vision" where Google (as well as other companies but
Google is the prime example here) hosts all data that then follows
mobile users to wherever they are and whatever kind of (mobile) device
they have. Our tweak here is that we think some customers do not wish
to use the public infrastructure for their data.

4.) Activities:

4.a.) We need to be excellent in the following:

* Create connectivity server for private cloud data service
* Support client connectivity to cloud services hosted by others, e.g.
 Google
* Support connectivity to our private cloud service
* Establish easy client setup of connectivity and social services
* Create Tools for remote administration via smart phones of Linux
 Desktop incl. WebYaST
* Ensure remote administration tools are optimized for use with
 devices (e.g. YaSTroid)
* Deliver integrated development tools for mobile platforms, e.g.
 Android, MeeGo and WebOS SDKs
* Collaborate with Android / Meego / WebOS
 (not Apple as it is a closed system)
* Lobby for open standards for mobile data access

4.b.) We will try to do the following effectively:

* Deliver a distribution integrating mobile connectivity
* Deliver a build service for building distribution and applications
* Provide multiple desktop experiences for everyone wishing to use
 mobile services
* Provide SUSE specific packages: YaST, zypper, AutoYaST, ...
* Provide the best social service apps out of the box and make sure
 users easily find them and configure them
* Bugfixing
* Testing
* Feeding back patches to upstream
* Collaboration with upstream
* Collaboration with other Linux distros

4.c.) As project, we will not focus on the following anymore:

* applications that don't integrate with the mobile world

--
Best Regards / S pozdravom,

Pavol RUSNAK                                       SUSE LINUX, s.r.o

I seem to be the only one, but I think this strategy is critical.

I'm under the belief that all 3 proposed strategies proposed are
likely to be integrated into a single larger strategy.

If so, I think openSUSE needs this strategy to absolutely be in the mix.

One simple example is the approximately 11 million netbooks that
shipped with linux pre-installed last year. Those machines seem to
need this strategy to work for them to be useful. ie. I assume most
of those 11 million linux netbooks routinely connect to the cloud for
services like gmail, google docs, facebook, etc.

I'm no market share guru, but I have to believe the low-end of
computing systems (netbooks, droids, etc.) is just going to continue
to get more important and if 5 years from now openSUSE is not fully
involved in that environment, it might as well not exist.

Greg