Re: [opensuse-project] openSUSE Strategy Discussion: Mobile and cloud ready distribution
  • From: Guido Berhoerster <guido+opensuse.org@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2010 14:12:42 +0200
* Martin Schlander <martin.schlander@xxxxxxxxx> [2010-06-29 13:44]:
Tirsdag den 29. juni 2010 13:12:30 skrev Guido Berhoerster:
I find this one exemplary for the arbitraryness of the whole
strategy debate which seems to be centered around the notion that
having a new stratgey is an end in itself while completely
disregarding the existing community structure and the needs and
preferences of users and contributors. Of course you can adopt a
strategy in a top-down fashion, but who is going to sustain it at
the end, Novell employees?

That's going a bit far I think. The strategy proposals are discussed openly
and build upon an analysis of existing strenghts, weaknesses, opportunities
and threats (swot) after all. So it's not really a top-down thing, and it's
not completely disregarding existing reality either.

Yes, that is published and IIRC there was also an user survey, so
there is some data (whatever its quality is) on current
strengths, weaknesses and the userbase as well.

But I do agree that all the proposals are going from one extreme to the other.
From basically having no explicit strategy/direction/mission whatsoever, to
having an extremely narrow focus. And that is also going way too far :-)

Yes, they were about picking one arbitray, narrow focus from the
list, explicitly at the expense of others. It treats the different
objectives as mutually exclusive when they are not and neglects
the fact that voluntary contributors cannot be shuffled around
the project at will but have very diverse motivations and
objectives which might clash with such a narrow strategy.

--
Guido Berhoerster