Re: [opensuse-project] Re: Strategy discussion @ forums
  • From: Marcus Moeller <mail@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2010 06:58:20 +0200
Dear Bryen,

On 22.06.2010 12:59, Andreas Jaeger wrote:
Let's enhance the community statement with a goal of uniting the
different means of communication

People ARE different. You CANT unify how they communicate.

The only goal you will reach with unification is equalization. And we
all know that leads to unexceptional, average and undistinguished
communication. Which is exactly what we DON'T need.

Bad wording on my side ;) What I mean is uniting the communities independent
of communication media.  For example the forum users should feel as much part
of the community as others.  Right now we fail here,

Andreas

I think it's not just about unity and culture.  I think what we have
always failed to do efficiently is at least have someone who monitors
the communications in each media form and then conveys what's being said
here or there.

I think its impossible to join all media forms into one unified place.
And in fact, I think that some separation is nice.  But what we often
fail to do is keep an eye on what everyone is saying.  I know I fail
tremendously at that and I've kept saying "We need to look at what Forum
folks are saying."  I'm definitely guilty of speaking words but not
putting into action.

We may not be the largest community out there, but we are sufficiently
large and communicative enough that any one person being able to monitor
everything is just sheer madness.  And its not just the Forums that get
marginalized, there's also the Facebook crowd (there's about 6,000
there.)

We *do* need to modify our community statement that at the very least
ensures that the Project and its leadership become more aware of what
all groups are saying.  Only then can we truly and effectively unite the
community as a whole.

The question is... How?

I think important forum threads/posts should be 'raised' to the
corresponding lists by forum administrators.

One who feels responsible should then step in and take care (everyone
of us should be able to log in to the forums and to reply to a thread.
at least me is already doing so).

This is how it works @CentOS and it works fine so far.

Greets
Marcus