RE: [opensuse-project] What's wrong with independence?
However, being the best distribution does not change anything. SuSE
was the best distribution for a long time, it offered (and still does)
ease of use and integration that the leading distribution (Red Hat,
Canonical) do not offer (very far from that), but it did not work.

Having a good product is one part of the game, distributing it is
another part, but they're not enough. As Canonical teaches, a good
marketing campaign can do better than product quality, unfortunately.

The much hated MS has proved time and again that effective marketing and
research carefully what customers really want. I may hate the quality of MS
products, but I also acknowledge that most people don't want to pay any more
to have better software, whatever they say or complain about.

How could openSuSE attract good marketers to contribute their skills to
improving the attractiveness of the product?

David