Re: [opensuse-project] What's wrong with independence?
  • From: Trifle Menot <triflemenot@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 09 Jun 2010 12:16:50 +0000
On Wed, 9 Jun 2010 13:06:20 +0200, Andreas Jaeger <aj@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Wednesday 09 June 2010 14:17:36 Karsten König wrote:

The entry states it's the base for SLE, that's it, well this obviously
contradicts the wish for a totally independent community as it might create
something that just won't sell as SLE ;-)

If we as openSUSE project want to make some different decisions which
are the right decisions for openSUSE and not for SLE, so be it.

That politically correct policy statement is good marketing speak, but
in practice, decisions will be dominated by devs who have a conflict of
interest, namely their Novell salary.

That's no different from Fedora or Ubuntu, so I'm not saying it's evil,
but let's stop pretending, and admit that opensuse is more of a Novell
marketing tool than a real community. People are not stupid, they can
see that. What incentive does anyone have to volunteer their time for
free, while Novell devs earn nice salaries and live the good life?

Very little incentive, it seems to me.

The project would have more appeal if the infrastructure were fully
separated from the sponsors. Then the community could fork the project
if bad things happen in the future. There is too much uncertainty
surrounding Novell; a potentially dead project is not a good investment
of my time.

Until that changes, good volunteers will be hard to find.

--
Web mail, POP3, and SMTP
http://www.beewyz.com/freeaccounts.php