  • From: Martin Schlander <martin.schlander@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 31 Jul 2009 17:35:04 +0200
Fredag den 31. juli 2009 17:10:47 skrev Will Stephenson:
On Friday 31 July 2009 16:49:10 Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier wrote:
Con:

* We may alienate our GNOME users -- while a smaller percentage than
our KDE users, ~30% of the community is still important to me.
* We may alienate our GNOME contributors
* We will not encourage any GNOME contributors to choose openSUSE if
they're not already here

A default desktop decision in favour of KDE won't please our GNOME users or
contributors, but it will actually stimulate and catalyse the openSUSE
GNOME community and those around XFCE and other WMs. I've already
mentioned Kubuntu and fedora-kde as examples of this effect - both of them
flourish as a mirror image of their distributions' stated defaults. Call
it the red rag to a bull effect.

Maybe it should be added that Fedora (~40% KDE) and *buntu (~33% KDE) both
have a considerably higher percentage of KDE users, than the openSUSE
percentage of GNOME users (22-25%). As KDE4 starts to mature and gain momentum
I don't see that changing.

So while the current no-default situation has alienated a lot of KDE users, it
hasn't really succeeded in attracting GNOME users. It's a complete failure,
and it would be best to correct the mistake that was made.

I believe Debian uses as default whatever is most often installed. Maybe we
should figure out a way to do the same. Then we wouldn't need to discuss, and
noone could claim it was a political statement.