Re: [opensuse-project] application navigation/search tab for software management on yast
  • From: Jean Cayron <jean.cayron@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 3 Apr 2009 16:11:26 +0200
2009/4/3 Vincent Untz <vuntz@xxxxxxxxxxxx>:
Le vendredi 03 avril 2009, à 06:09 -0400, Ricardo Cornet a écrit :
I'm a bit surprised -- I would expect that LANG is set when you log in
(in KDE too). Note that this is really a standard way to define the
language for an app. See for example:
http://opengroup.org/onlinepubs/007908799/xbd/envvar.html

Vincent

True. is the standard way since ancient times. Designed for command line
apps. My home system have LANG=en_US.UTF-8 set and I also have
LC_COLLATE to posix. Simply because that behavior is better for the
command line, man pages documentation, error messages, whatever works
better setting them.

But why the desktop has to depend on them?. Why I can't set them
differently?

I'd argue it's a configuration issue on your end. You should only set
LANG to en_US.UTF-8 when running a shell with a prompt, since this is
what your seem to be looking for.

Well I can change after I open a terminal, but the
command line tools should not dictate graphical tools policy and
viceversa. KDE people got this right, GNOME people had another opinion.

I don't understand your point: nobody in GNOME manually sets LANG. The
user simply selects his language when logging in. It's definitely done
in a graphical way. (and I'll point out that the login manager should
take the default value for this setting from the value chosen during
installation -- pretty sure it works with gdm, eg)
Yes that is, gdm does it but if you use kdm it won't work (don't know
for XDM). I had the problem on my computer. I use the language A in
KDE as first language, it is also the first language for the
installation. My wife want her session, also in KDE, to be in language
B. I change the language settings in KDE's GUI but all the GTK
applications (Gimp, Firefox...) stay in the first language or in
English (if no translation in A is available). The only solution is to
either change the LANG in .profile in an editor or to install gdm (but
a bit weird if you don't use Gnome as desktop).

The problem is also multilanguage. KDE permit to use fallback
languages (if your basic language is translated for 70%, you can use
another one than english for the other 30%).
So, in both cases, you must do it by hand.

Jean

Vincent

--
Les gens heureux ne sont pas pressés.