Re: [opensuse-project] users' perspectives on openSUSE support,backports, our contributions, etc (fwd from user-list)
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <carlos.e.r@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 3 Apr 2009 04:42:55 +0200 (CEST)

On Thursday, 2009-04-02 at 20:54 -0500, Kevin "Yeaux" Dupuy wrote:

On Thu, 2009-04-02 at 19:41 +0200, Carlos E. R. wrote:
I don't understand that answer. Why would solving bugs bring new bugs?

I'm not a developer, but being involved with openSUSE development, I've
learned that bugs are tricky little gubbers. Any time you start editing,
deleting, or adding code, a bug can pop up. (Obviously, an actual
developer will give a more knowledgeable explanation ;-) )

Obviously.

It is normally understood that adding so many lines of code adds about a fixed percent of new bugs. But usually, the task of clearing bugs does not add new bugs. Shouldn't, that is, the percent is much smaller.

which is unfortunate. If a bridge falls down after comission, someone goes
to jail. If sofware fails, you are told to wait and upgrade. It is just
some insect in some relais.

A bridge is a life and death situation. Your computer isn't. There is
special software for technologies in the areas of life and death
situations, such as hospitals. With all due respect, I don't want
openSUSE running my pacemaker, or Vista or Leopard either. For obvious
reasons.

My metaphor is a well known exaggeration, of the known point that the software profession takes little responsibility of the quality of the code they produce - and I'm part of that "they".

You can change the metaphor to a car not starting or something of the sort.

- -- Cheers,
Carlos E. R.