Re: [opensuse-project] application navigation/search tab for software management on yast
  • From: Benji Weber <benji@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 1 Apr 2009 10:13:49 +0100
2009/4/1 Ricardo Cornet <rcornet@xxxxxxxxx>:
On Wed, Apr 1, 2009 at 3:15 AM, Benji Weber <benji@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
2009/4/1 Ricardo Cornet <rcornet@xxxxxxxxx>:

I tested that page and the results are.. well.. not nice.

Well it's a work in progress. You can also register and start tagging
things up & rating things. When there's more user generated content
the search can be adjusted to favour that.

In my opinion  depending on users is not going to work. Most users are lazy...

Either packagers tag their packages, (which I don't think will happen)
or we implemente via software something that read descriptions of
packages and generates it own semantic dicctionary.

Well this is kind of what we have already. Indexer looks at package
descriptions and .desktop files and tries to infer data where
possible.

Unfortunately there are no real rules for most of the metadata, so for
every rule there are hundreds of exceptions. I think the only way for
it to work is for people to teach the system.

You can already select which source & binary packages make up an
application, and define new applications. Then in future runs the
indexer will respect your selections when discovering package updates.

How well the latter is going to work is subject to discussion. But it
is easier to make software to work than make people to work. There is
a lot of people and a lot of apps.

I'm not sure I agree here. Once it's easy enough people do contribute
comments & ratings & tags on many websites nowadays. The key thing is
making it easy enough to contribute, and we're not there yet. Not
least because we can't even share login credentials with novell
infrastracture.

--
Benjamin Weber