Re: [opensuse-project] application navigation/search tab for software management on yast
  • From: Ricardo Cornet <rcornet@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 01 Apr 2009 02:41:18 -0400
Benji Weber wrote:
2009/4/1 Ricardo Cornet <rcornet@xxxxxxxxx>:

I'd like to hear your opinions.

There is a web project for doing this http://software.opensuse-community.org/

This couild be integrated with yast in future.

--
Benjamin Weber

I tested that page and the results are.. well.. not nice.

For a "video converter" query it returns in the top 10
mkgmap
OpenStreetMap to GARMIN converter

man2html
A Unix manpage-to-HTML converter

highlight
A universal source code to formatted text converter.

uvcvideo
USB Video Class (UVC) webcam driver

enca
Charset and Encoding Analyzer/Converter Library

mimetex
LaTeX math expressions to anti-aliased GIF images converter

latex2html
LaTeX2HTML Converter

mednafen
Multiple video game console emulator

wv
Word 8 Converter for Unix

farsight2
Framework for Audio/Video Conferencing Protocols

======================================

For "word processor" gives the lest worst:
===============================
htmldoc
HTML Processor that Generates HTML, PostScript, and PDF Files

abiword
A Multiplatform Word Processor

wv
Word 8 Converter for Unix

pd
Real-time patchable audio and multimedia processor

libwps
Library for reading and converting Microsoft Works word processor documents

swfmill
Swfmill is an xml2swf and swf2xml processor with import functionalities

antiword
A Free MS Word Reader for Linux and RISC OS

textmaker
Efficient, powerful word processor from Softmaker Software GmbH

wf
Simple Word Frequency Counter

wv2
library to import Microsoft Word documents

For "audio player"
=================
banshee
A Music Player

perl-CDDB_get
Read the CDDB entry for an audio CD in your drive

perl-MP3
MP3::Info - Manipulate / fetch info from MP3 audio files

calf
Calf is a set of audio effect plugins

celt
The CELT ultra-low delay audio codec

hda
A program to send a HD-audio command

libmpcdec
Musepack Audio Decoder

gramofile
Digitize Audio Records

rosegarden4
MIDI/Audio Sequencer and Notation Editor

timidity
Software Synthesizer and MIDI Player
=================================
No Amarok! ;-)

I think it is obvious, this does not work, and also does not have a
better way to urderstand libraries apart from applications, that means
desktop applications, which is the verry purpose of talking about
applications.

As final corolary this are the top 10 with the "games" keyword.
gnome-games
Games for the GNOME 2.x Desktop

kdegames3
Games for KDE

kdegames4
Library for KDE Games

childsplay
A suite of educational games for young children

physfs
PhysicsFS file abstraction layer for games

hatari
An Atari ST Emulator Suitable for Playing Games

raine
Neo Geo CD and arcade game emulator focused on Taito and Jaleco games

loki_setup
Installer Program Mainly for Games

clanlib
A Portable Interface for Writing Games

guichan
A portable C++ GUI library designed for games using SDL and/or OpenGL.

Of which 3 are more or less aceptable, the rest is nonsense when
compared to the query. Someone looking for games under linux and
opensuse, would just say that there are no games. There are relatevely
few games on linuxland, but this land us from few to none on regular
people perspective. Of course I know we can find on packman 3d shooters,
arcade, etc. The question is why although packman is in the database it
is not "searched". Which means, that packman contains games, the site
"knows" but does not "find". of course looking by specific name and
certain keywords I can find anything. But the way the site is now, it
does not work as it should.