Re: [opensuse-project] Why Simultaneous Net & Box Set Release?
  • From: Clayton <smaug42@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 20 Dec 2008 18:38:24 +0100
Debian are probably the best example. The key commitment they make is
that you can upgrade, from an up to date "stable" release, to the next
via the distupgrade. Ubuntu claim that, but I've seen comment in the
forum that there's issues, at least with Kubuntu, which may be
expected given it's secondary status to GNOME.

What problems do you see in the rolling update approach? With online
update and OBS we seem to have progressed considerably in that
direction.

From a testing standpoint I would guess that it's hard to know what
each "tester" has on his or her system with the rolling update
approach. How does one misbehaving app affect another... for example
if xorg is old will that break compiz? In an Ivory Tower development
style as openSUSE is, you can control what xorg is used... so if it
breaks compiz, you know where to look to fix things... in a rolling
update, can you guarantee that everyone will be on the same level? Is
that important? I don't know. Never worked with it.

From an end user point of view, I like the rolling update concept. I
never have to reinstall... that's a good thing to me.