Re: [opensuse-project] From today's openSUSE board meeting: Who can vote for the openSUSE board?
  • From: Pascal Bleser <pascal.bleser@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2008 23:06:26 +0100

Andreas Jaeger wrote:
[...]
| * Who can vote?
[...]
| - basically three different proposals:
| + only members
| + anyone
| + members + non-members members vouch for (web-of-trust alike)

Just to clarify the latter option: the idea is to have the following
people being able to vote:
- - members
- - non-members who have a verified identity by the proxy of a member

Say A is a member, but X, Y and Z aren't.
But A knows that X, Y and Z are
- - real individuals, not fake identities used to fraud the election
- - part of the openSUSE community, as contributors or users

A would notice the election committee (whoever that will be, to be
discussed) that X, Y and Z are as defined above. And X, Y and Z would
then be given a ticket to vote on the board election.

Of course, there's still a potential risk, that A would only do that for
people he knows would vote the same way he would. Or X, Y and Z could
all be fake identities of A. But by granting membership status, we put a
lot of trust into the members, as we verify their contributions. And as
active contributors, it's probably safe enough to think they wouldn't
sabotage the elections, the board and, to a certain extent, the community.

So basically, we've identified 3 options, two extreme ones:
1) only members
2) anyone (with a publicly published and frozen list some time before
the elections)
And one in-between:
3) members + non-members who have been acknowledged as being real
individuals + part of the community by members

It's remotely inspired from the web-of-trust principle used by
techniques such as PGP/GPG.

PS: I'm not saying it's the best approach, just clarifying the idea
behind it ;))

cheers
- --
~ -o) Pascal Bleser <pascal.bleser@xxxxxxxxxxxx>