Re: [opensuse-project] Announcing the official openSUSE Forums
  • From: Bryen <suseROCKS@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2008 10:51:50 -0500

On Wed, 2008-03-12 at 16:17 +0100, Per Jessen wrote:
Kim Groneman wrote:

It will have a Web Interface (vBulletin) and there is discussion going
on around NNTP as well. Personally I think it should have both.

I agree, but I'm only borg unit three of three. There are security
concerns that have to be addressed and frankly, a learning curve to
overcome for people that haven't experienced NNTP.

But people without desire to use nntp would just continue to use the
webforum interface, right? I'm not sure I quite understand why there
is a learning curve here.

Kim is referring to the learning curve for people who have not used
NNTP, not for those already using NNTP. They have to figure out a) what
is NNTP?, b) how do they allow NNTP traffic if their local firewall
blocks it and c) what software supports NNTP.

Beyond that, there is the issue of people like me who frequently use web
interface over NNTP because of environmental limitations. When I'm at a
customer site and I need to get a quick answer to something, I may not
be able to use NNTP because either a) they don't have NNTP installed on
their machines, and b) their firewall may explicitly ban NNTP.

When Novell switched to their new format a year or so ago, I had to stop
using the forums specifically for this reason. I couldn't get in to
post questions/answer questions, because some of my customers wouldn't
allow NNTP. I sorely missed the web interaction option, and thus,
Novell lost me as a participant/contributor to the forums. (Maybe they
did have a web interface, but I sure couldn't find it. I could only
read posts.)

Novell needs to keep both options open and offer that flexibility to its
users, customers and partners because Novell can't predict what
environment I'm going to be in day-to-day.

Bryen