Re: [opensuse-project] Announcing the official openSUSE Forums
  • From: "Kim Groneman" <kgroneman@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2008 09:02:55 -0600
Hi, Excuse my intrusion into the discussion, but if I can help answer
questions, I'd be glad to. My name is Kim Groneman and I'm in charge of the
forums at http://forums.novell.com and our openSUSE forums are one of the three
partners involved in this endeavor. I've been in discussion with the folks
over the other two boards and people at openSUSE for a while now and am excited
this consolidation of the knowledge pool is coming together.

The announcement said spring 2008. So right now they are still separate
forums.

We're using vBulletin to build out the new openSUSE forums on a staging server,
folks at openSUSE are working on skinning it, and "Vir@s" from the
SUSELinuxSupport.de boards is heading up the user consolidation effort. You
should see some announcements on the various boards asking users to ensure
their user ID matches their openSUSE login ID and hopefully most active users
will be set by the time the integration occures. We're shooting for the end
of April baring any unforseen problems, but you know how these things are; we
can't make any promises at this point.

It will have a Web Interface (vBulletin) and there is discussion going
on around NNTP as well. Personally I think it should have both.

I agree, but I'm only borg unit three of three. There are security concerns
that have to be addressed and frankly, a learning curve to overcome for people
that haven't experienced NNTP. Novell doesn't run this forum consolidation
project, we're only a player in this project.

You won't see much on forums.opensuse.org until it's showtime, but rest assured
the work is progressing.

< Previous Next >
List Navigation