Re: [opensuse-project] openSUSE Membership: a general comment
  • From: Pascal Bleser <pascal.bleser@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 08 Feb 2008 09:38:10 +0100

Roger Whittaker wrote:
[...]
But I'm slightly uneasy about the whole membership concept.

When I try to analyse the reasons for that unease, I see that it's
because a form of membership that has to be applied for and granted
seems too much like positional power and therefore doesn't quite "feel
right".

It definitely isn't a positional power. The need for an application is
simply to be able to track them and assign the @opensuse.org aliases +
the IRC cloaks. There's really no other way to manage it (or if you have
a better idea, please let us know ;)). Granting is needed because not
everyone should have that "membership" (again, the word doesn't exactly
capture what it is, but it's the lesser bad one): it is supposed to be
for active contributors and makes them representative of the project
(which is what using the @opensuse.org email for writing.. emails is all
about really, implicitly). If we gave it to everyone, it just wouldn't
make any sense.

The whole idea behind it is really to "reward" active contributors, give
them more visibility and credit.

And that's a good thing.

I find it a bit odd that people think it's a disclosing factor for
others, while the goal is really to reward and bring people forward.
But maybe we just need to clarify that a lot more.
What do you think ?

cheers
- --
-o) Pascal Bleser <pascal.bleser@xxxxxxxxxxxx>