Re: [opensuse-project] Announcing openSUSE-community.org
  • From: Pascal Bleser <pascal.bleser@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 23 Dec 2006 13:42:22 +0100

jdd sur free wrote:
> Francis Giannaros a écrit :
>
>> This is a site now where all users can chip in their documentation
>
> as sysop of fr.opensuse.org _and_ fr.susewiki.org (not to mention my own
> wiki), I have no problem with this new project. fr.susewiki.org was born
> a short time before opensuse was launched and is nearly empty (it gives
> me problems because I don't read it often and it's vandalised frequently).
>
> However I have some remarks:
> * opensuse-community should _not_ use the exact logo and layout of
> opensuse.org, to makes it clear it's _not_ (officially) Novell
> supported, let only for legal reason,

But it is part of the openSUSE community, because it is driven and
maintained by some of the most active members.

If we can't use the openSUSE logo on our own initiatives, then there is
no such thing as a community.
I find it already a pity not having @opensuse.org email addresses for
people who contribute a lot to the effort -- but that's (almost) another
story.

Obviously, as Novell holds the copyright on the openSUSE logo, we need
legal ACK to use it.

> * it should very clearly state what can be set in, what can't be written
> on it (if any) and what should better be on opensuse.org

It's not that easy to "clearly state" it.
We'll just see how it comes along and possibly move things that belong
to opensuse.org over there.

> For example, I don't even understand clearly the content goal of Lessons
> for a Lizard (not had enough time to investigate though). I also have a
> little bunch of small tips and tricks I use on my SuSE, but may not be
> suse specific, so what may I do of this? (for example,
> http://dodin.org/mediawiki/index.php/Documentation_Linux). Is it good
> for opensuse.org of or opensuse-community?

If it doesn't imply potential legal issues, put it opensuse.org
If it is about mplayer, mad, lame, Packman, Guru, etc.. then we have to
put it on opensuse-community.org as Novell forbids us to put it on
opensuse.org

> If you want a french sysop, I can search for one (preferably not me),
> for example asking on the fr.opensuse.org list

I don't know about plans to translate the content.
I think we first need some sort of content and think about translating
later. One thing at a time, we'll just see how it comes along, it's not
like we're having a big plan for world domination or something.

I think the first goal for us, as the current editors on the
opensuse-community.org wiki are all active helpers on the #suse IRC
channel, is to put content about frequently asked questions that come up
again and again over there.
Of course, it's not limited to that in any way, but we will use it for
that purpose.

I hope other websites about SUSE (forums, wikis, ...) will jump over
their shadow and will help contribute into a single wiki (well, two
wikis, opensuse.org and opensuse-community.org) as the current situation
where a lot of information is split all over many different websites is
dissatisfactory IMHO. At least for end users.
As the previous initiative (quite a while back) to try to unify
documentation and articles about SUSE Linux was a complete failure, we
hope it will work out better this time.

I think it's about time to jump over egos and see the bigger picture,
start working somewhat together will the different parts of the
community. But that's just my opinion.

cheers
- --