Re: [opensuse-kde] Clicking on links in Kmail
  • From: Basil Chupin <blchupin@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2009 10:35:15 +1100
Bob Williams wrote:
nevertheless, Firefox stores all webpages you access, and
anything you download from the 'net like Youtube videos, in
~/.mozilla/firefox/*.default/Cache and when you request a webpage it
brings up the one stored in Cache *if that page has not been updated by
the URL the page came from*; if it has been updated then it will get the
new page from the URL. In your case, what appears to be happening is
that the page you have requested has not changed from the one you asked
for at an earlier time.

No. My problem is not with revisiting pages that Firefox has stored in its
cache. My problem occurs when I click on a link in an external program, such
as KMail 1.11, which then opens Firefox (or whichever browser is set as my
default) and loads a cached (in ~/.kde4/cache/..) vesion of the link I clicked
on. IOW, my browser is showing me a local file, not a remote site on the web.

I am not using kmail but use Thunderbird and Firefox. I am also using 11.1.with
KDE4.2 but it is a 32-bit system.

The setup which you are using is probably creating the situation you mention
above because I do not have any directory '~/.kde4/cache/' no matter what I try
and do. What I do have in ~/.kde4 are symlinks such as '~cache-xxxxxx' which
all point to /var/tmp/kde-<username>. These symlinks (I have 3 of them) have
been created on different dates but none created last night or this morning
when I did some testing re your problem.

What happens if you delete '/.kde4/cache/'- where does the browser go then, and
does the cache get recreated?

As I mentioned earlier, Firefox caches its info in
/.mozilla/firefox/*.default/Cache/; on this basis I suspect that some setting
in kmail is creating the cache in .kde4 and 'forcing' FF to use it.

(Just out of curiosity what is the setting in FF's
Edit>Preferences>Main>Start>When Firefox Starts [??Show My Home Page??]?)

BC

sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use."
Galileo
Galilei