Re: [opensuse-gnome] Default 11.4 background and theming
  • From: Nelson Marques <nmo.marques@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2010 18:18:24 +0000
sorry but you cant be consistent when you choose the upstream stuff. It works
on a gnome,kde,lxde,xfce only distribution yes.

Well you are right. But the real issue here is as Vincent told on the
meeting, there is a GNOME request to ship with GNOME3 default branding
to support the launch of GNOME Shell. GNOME3 is new and there is too
much fuss and gossip already even without considering Unity as a
competitor (competitor for me is any product/service that replaces
totally or parcially our product/service).

Lets give them (GNOME Project) a hand and honor the 2nd position that
Novell has as a GNOME contributor and help GNOME shell. I would rather
break consistency and support GNOME on this one, than going against a
request that most distributions are following.

This has other implications that could be analysed as positioning and
differentiation. And of course this concepts might shift a bit from
the original path, but on the end those changes will be superseded by
a closer and stronger relation with GNOME upstream, which might bring
even greater benefits.

Change Adwaita to celadon isnt so the problem, the problem is which I choose
then for bootsplash Adwaita styled or KDE stripes styled.

Btw http://www.flickr.com/photos/jakubsteiner/5280066683/

so if it happen on fedora, should we use the same?

It happened on Fedora[1]. Mizmo already made very clear that Fedora 15
is shipping fully GNOME3 upstream branded. I don't think if we follow
the same path we're following Fedora, but instead we are complying
with a request from the GNOME Project for greater visibility on
gnome-shell.

My 2 cents is that we should support GNOME Project on this one, thus
contributing for the success of the long waited gnome-shell. Honor our
main sponsor which is the 2nd ranked contributor on GNOME upstream and
risk a bit more.

No pain, no gain.

br gnokii

--