Re: [opensuse-gnome] Default 11.4 background and theming
  • From: "S.Kemter" <buergermeister@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2010 19:01:10 +0100
Am Dienstag 21 Dezember 2010, 18:30:47 schrieb Nelson Marques:
On Tue, Dec 21, 2010 at 10:35 AM, Vincent Untz <vuntz@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi,

During the IRC meeting last week, there was some long discussion about
the default 11.4 theming, especially for the background.

Let me try to summarize what was said:

- the proposed background is similar to what you can see at
http://karl-tux-stadt.de/ktuxs/?p=2677 (but with a different shade
of green).

- as a distribution, having a consistent look and feel is rather
important: we do want to have the boot splash and the desktop
background form a consistent set.

+1

- some people thought that the currently proposed background is too
close to KDE: it's based on a background that got included in KDE SC
4.5, and that exists in distribution-branded versions (like the
openSUSE one). See the posts starting in August at
http://ivan.fomentgroup.org/blog/

I hold no problems with the wallpaper being close to KDE (either
openSUSE or KDE upstream). I face this in a openSUSE perspective in
which I don't mind who contributes for the wallpaper. My only regard
about the background is that personally I would love to have a more
'alive' thing with a bit more of color, but we can't please everyone.
So it's not really important. As long as we can identify our users
with the wallpaper and they like it, it's all good.

- some people mentioned that upstream GNOME will ask distributions to
use the upstream GNOME 3 theme, including the background for GNOME 3
(so not for 11.4, but 11.4+1). For reference, this is

http://git.gnome.org/browse/gnome-themes-standard/plain/themes/Adwaita/
backgrounds/stripes.jpg

Yes I find this to be consistent and in fact we should actually
support upstream GNOME. My only regard on this is when you see a
screenshot of a default desktop we often by the wallpaper can identify
the distribution, but proving a full GNOME upstream GNOME, we are
loosing some visibility as a distro. This isn't actually much of a
problem, and if gnome-shell and GNOME can benefit for it, we can and
actually should support their claim. Though with 2 grains of salt I
wouldn't mind having also providing a package with Sonar for GNOME
shell and the the usual openSUSE artwork (despite of not being on the
default desktop). I would risk Sonar for gnome-shell because Sonar has
a very strong user base which is loyal. We shouldn't ditch without
some discussion.

+1 for full GNOME branding (as long as we deliever our stuff as well
as 'optional') for a greater GNOME3 good.

sorry but you cant be consistent when you choose the upstream stuff. It works
on a gnome,kde,lxde,xfce only distribution yes.

Change Adwaita to celadon isnt so the problem, the problem is which I choose
then for bootsplash Adwaita styled or KDE stripes styled.

Btw http://www.flickr.com/photos/jakubsteiner/5280066683/

so if it happen on fedora, should we use the same?

br gnokii