[opensuse-gnome] openSUSE, Compiz, NOMAD and upstreams
  • From: Sam Spilsbury <smspillaz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 4 Oct 2009 13:54:33 +0800
Hey everyone,

Not sure if there is a different ML I should be posting this too. I
usually see David Reveman hanging out on #opensuse-gnome so I guessed
this is the right place to put this.

I'm aware that openSUSE is using a branch of Compiz titled 'NOMAD'
which is supposed to enhance remote-desktop usage when using
compositors. This is a pretty cool project. The compiz developers
spoke with David back in January about the future of compiz and
merging together all the branches (Compiz 0.9, NOMAD etc).

It's been a few months since then and NOMAD has seen almost _no_
development on freedesktop.org since the 30th of January or our own
project infrastructure. It also seems that for the 11.2 release of
openSUSE they will be planning on using the NOMAD-0.7.8 branch of
compiz instead of the 0.8.* stable series with some important
bugfixes.

Does David, Novell or openSUSE have any intention to try to merge
NOMAD upstream? It would be useful functionality to have upstream and
we don't bite ;-). A few changes would be required to make it work but
overall it should work with the new infrastructure we have in place
with the 0.9 development series. In fact, it should be fairly easy to
merge it into the 0.8.* series.

If not, we don't really have much of a choice than to consider this a fork :<.

Kind Regards,

Sam

--
Sam Spilsbury