Re: [opensuse-buildservice] Reworking the software search, part II
  • From: Jos Poortvliet <jos@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2012 14:45:05 +0100
On Monday 12 March 2012 18:20:57 Thomas Schmidt wrote:
On 12.03.2012 17:06, Ludwig Nussel wrote:
Thomas Schmidt wrote:
thanks for your feedback regarding our mockups for the software search.
We implemented a working prototype which now also contains a search
form.

Please check the new search at:
http://software.opensuse.org/search/find
and see an example app page here:
http://software.opensuse.org/package/kopete

Please let me know what you think of the current state.

Nice but the web page should make it obvious that packages from any
repo other than the official distro was potentially not reviewed by
anyone, make no promise whatsoever and that adding the repo might
have surprising consequences.

Could you provide me a text for this?
I can add this as a popup for the first time the user clicks
on unsupported packages with the option to remember the warning.

First of all. I think warnings as obtrusive as that are a bad idea imho. The
fact that the user has to click on 'unsupported packages' is clear enough.
If the user does that, don't bother them anymore... Besides, such warnings,
despite doing damage to the easy nature of the web interface, serve NO
security purpose other than make us feel better. UAC anyone?

The search result for Factory doesn't actually show the package from
Factory but from the devel project.

This is a known limitation of the obs api, let's see if we can fix that.

I'm not sure it makes sense to have both 'release' and 'update' for
packages in the Distro. Usually you want to prefer the latter, esp
since the updater will suggest to install that within the next 24
hours anyways.

Right, let's merge the 'release' and 'update' line to 'official', which
links the latest official version.

I think our goal should be to empower users and expose the power of OBS (and
the work the packages there do!) to them while of course protecting
them/properly warning them when something goes wrong.

We have three 'levels of officialness' to packages. The packages build in home
are usually for testing or private use. Note that sometimes they are meant
to be widely used -some upstream projects use home projects to distribute
their software, see quipzilla I recently blogged about [1]. So while we
should warn users of the potential unstable and even dangerous nature of
home projects, it should be not too hard to get there. Maybe a way of home
projects to signify their goal ("just for my testing" vs "meant for general
consumption") would be useful at some point.

Second level are the devel projects. Again, they can be meant for testing
but often they are absolutely supposed to provide extra or more up to date
software to end users. Examples are the GNOME and KDE extra and updated
release repo's, the Games repo etcetera. Hiding them too much is absolutely
bad: they are a major value of openSUSE.

Then we have of course our official, tested, released software. IF an user is
searching for something, this should always be on top.

I propose to build up the UI to expose these three levels explicity, with
the first two ALWAYS visible. Devel projects are a tad messy so for that we
need to think of a way to expose them in a reasonable way.

What to show could be something like this:

Stable version [a]
Testing version [b]
devel project name (more testing packages) [c]
(unofficial packages) [d]

[a] from updates/oss. Like currently, the big download button.
[b] newer version from a devel repo. For example the highest release number
found in a devel project or so. Testing is actually a bit negative as some
repo's aren't about testing at all, but it is a ok general term I think.
[c] a link/button to get more packages from devel projects. In case there is
choice...
[d] link which will show home project packages

This way we show what openSUSE has which other distro's don't: OBS and
31.000 people building packages there :D

/Jos

[1] http://blog.jospoortvliet.com/2012/03/fork-me-on-github.html
Greetings