[opensuse-buildservice] Re: openSUSE:Tools dropped 11.3 repo already?
  • From: Jim Henderson <hendersj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2012 21:32:12 +0000 (UTC)
On Fri, 27 Jan 2012 09:13:00 -0600, Archie Cobbs wrote:

Your #5 is:

"That means that when resources are constrained, something gets
clipped, and the logical starting place is to start with the oldest
stuff."

Sounds good to me! So let's look at the facts:

openSUSE 11.3: 1.5 years old, and is a SUSE distribution

RHEL 4: 7 years old, and is not a SUSE distribution

My simple question is: why openSUSE 11.3 before (for example) RHEL 4?
What are the underlying priorities that resulted in that choice?

I couldn't tell you since I'm not privy to the business information.

But at a guess, it's not based on age but number of releases. RHEL6 IIRC
is the current release, and for customers running older releases, SUSE
has an incentive to support them because they would like nothing better
than to migrate those RH customers to SLES.

By including RHEL4/5/6 in OBS, that lets custom packages those RHEL
customers are building to be built cross-distribution making migration
easier.

But that's just a guess based on what I know/knew from when I was at
Novell.

Jim

--
Jim Henderson