To many lists (Was Re: [opensuse-buildservice] Public availability of ci.opensuse.org)
  • From: Sascha Peilicke <saschpe@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2011 19:53:16 +0200
On Tuesday 18 October 2011 18:07:44 you wrote:

On Tue, Oct 18, 2011 at 05:12:23PM -0800, Sascha Peilicke wrote:

Currently, we run the testsuites of the OBS, osc and osc2 code-bases and
publish their results to a newly created mailinglist,
obs-tests@xxxxxxxxxxxx. Additionally, reports about the code coverage
and quality (amounts of TODOS, FIXMEs, etc.) are generated.

Why does this require a new list?

We already run how many lists for openSUSE? More than 80. Terrible and
horrible. The amount of lists a project provides isn't an indicator for
the quality and importance. Less so often is more.
Otherwise people will complain that they're spammed with test result mails.
Thrust me, this wasn't a one man decision. In fact, I was more for sending
test results to this list, but people would have complained about that too. If
something relevant happens, there's always some idiot savant jumping out of
the bushes (or cellar) telling us "Ha! Me being so bright 'n told 'ya so all
the times!".

Therefore I suggest - and I suggested this already in the past - only to
create a new list if there is real demand.
Heck, we may even want to close unused lists. But geez, we would have to come
up with a list of candidates first!

Look at Samba. There we drive all discussion on two lists since many
years.
I'd say, up until now, OBS was even a brighter star on that firmament, we used
only one list, even for the tools developed by our pals and team meeting
results. How truly awesome is that! Now we're on par. You'll be shocked when
we announce even another list, where we will send commit messages too. I'm
sure there's plenty of people who would have loved to see them on this list
too

Sascha in cc as he'll else will complain that he's not reading list
mails.
Hell yes, barely made a point, now it's flaming time! How kind of you, but as
me beiing subscribed to this very list, your sweet-talk is entirely
superfluous.
--
Viele Grüße,
Sascha