Re: [opensuse-buildservice] makeinstall macro on non-suse distros
On Monday 05 September 2011, Tejas Guruswamy wrote:
On 05/09/11 21:20, Rüdiger Meier wrote:
On Monday 05 September 2011, Tejas Guruswamy wrote:
On 05/09/11 11:16, Ruediger Meier wrote:

It works on modern distros (last few versions of openSUSE, Fedora,
Mandriva),

AFAIR it didn't worked on all non-suse distros. Could it be that I
have to do a bit more than just enabling Fedora build to get a
Fedora conform build environment?

Oh sorry, I didn't notice you wrote %makeinstall instead of
%make_install.

%makeinstall (which was SuSE-only) is deprecated since 11.1 or so in
favour of %make_install (which is upstreamed, works on Fedora also),
and is what I meant to talk about

Thanks a lot!
It still doesn't work for a lot distros but now I'm going to
use %make_install always if it's defined, which should be very
portable:

%install
%if %{?make_install:1}
%{make_install}
%else
make install DESTDIR=%{?buildroot}
%endif

I only thought it should be another solution because when
overriding destination paths it could be that stuff gets installed
into folders where it doesn't belong to (from distro's point of
view).

If files end up missing buildroot, it should be obvious because the
build fails. More subtle mistakes can still happen, yes.

Yes, I've wanted to mention that specifying all the separate destdirs
in %configure _and_ in %makeinstall is a bad (possible conflicting)
thing. So now it seems natural for me that they've
deprecated %makeinstall (to not brake existing spec files) and added
just a better %make_install.

cu,
Rudi