Re: [opensuse-buildservice] [Seeking Feedback] OBS mobile: request page makeover
  • From: Adrian Schröter <adrian@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2011 08:34:14 +0200
Am Tuesday, 14. June 2011, 14:42:11 schrieb Justine L.:
Greetings,

Hope all is well. :)

I'm a GSoC'11 student working on the OBS mobile client for Android, and
I have a few ideas about improving the Request page. I figured some
feedback from the community would be very helpful, especially from
those who use OBS regularly.

(A blog discussion & more vivid visual illustration of this can be
found
at: http://obsforandroid.wordpress.com/2011/06/09/obs-mobile-request-page
-makeover/ )

At this moment, when we open up the OBS mobile and click on Requests,
it takes us directly to the list of requests
(http://img.susepaste.org/64883370). How would it look if we were to
replace the list with some buttons on this page, e.g., View All
Requests, Add Request, Search (http://img.susepaste.org/48027969)?

Do you think this is a good place to Add Requests? I heard that new
requests were often related to packages, so I wonder if it might make
more sense to place "Add Requests" on the Package view page.

All requests so far are either concerning a project or a package. Some
with source and target instances, some only with targets.

Would it be useful to have a Search button here?

I am unsure about a full blown search functionality, but maybe some
switches like, requests which are new or in review or accepted or declined or

The webui has more or less also two different modes for showing requests.
Either requests concerning "me" or concerning a certain project or package.
The api is delivering the search functionality for this already.

So, when a user taps "View All Requests," the screen would slide over
to display the entire list of requests
(http://img.susepaste.org/95818729).

Viewing all requests without any limitation makes no sense IMHO. We should
not offer this in the UI, because it also creates load on the server.

I was thinking about adding some sorting functions here to show an
ordered list of requests. Should the list be automatically sorted
alphabetically or chronologically upon loading, or should there be some
buttons on the page which the user could tap and sort
himself/herself? How about a sort based on the request's status, e.g.,
accepted, declined, pending?

The webui in master branch is doing this already. I think it would be a
good start to reuse the same code base.

Then, when the user taps on a specific request, instead of showing the
original 3 collapsible functions
(http://img.susepaste.org/77504424),

I think showing the current build status is absolut critical (beside the diff)
to be able to decide if this requests can be accepted or not.

the screen displays 4 collapsible
buttons: Actions, Info, History, and
Diff. (http://img.susepaste.org/95372228) Tapping the Actions button
will expand it to display the 4 possible actions on a request: Accept,
Decline, Modify, and Delete. (http://img.susepaste.org/67877982)

How does this look? Is it more convenient & user-friendly?

Also, do you think we should implement a mobile view
for https://build.opensuse.org/home/my_work, for a better makeover of
this Request page?

Definitive. New stuff concerning me may be the most important thing what you
want to check when you are in the beer garden actually ;) (seriously, not
ironic).

Your comments and suggestions are always welcome! :)

Best regards,
~ Justine

SUSE Linux Products GmbH