Re: [opensuse-marketing] Re: [opensuse-buildservice] Proposed OBS rename / + BRETZN name
Am Donnerstag, 3. Februar 2011, 01:31:24 schrieb Jos Poortvliet:
On Wednesday 02 February 2011 22:57:02 Adrian Schröter wrote:
Am Mittwoch, 2. Februar 2011, 22:31:18 schrieb Jos Poortvliet:
Just my 2cent on this:

* I think when using the just the term "OBS" more strictly and avoiding
the

full name, the problem would reduce a lot.

Well, ppl always want to know what it means - and "open (or openSUSE) build
service" is a good start of an explanation. So I don't think this will
really solve the issue.

* A rename should always consider the available DNS domains ;)

hehehe yes, that is true... But doesn't openbuildservice.org already
redirect to build.opensuse.org? Seems like we could go for that name
then... Yes?

This particular one is indeed owned by me (privately). But there are also
others, some of them pointing also to build.o.o, but they still want to
hand it over only under some conditions (money or others). That is something
what I don't even want to start about.

One aspect, which should not be forgotten is that OBS is developed still by
99% from SUSE employees. We have meanwhile a core team of 3 people and that
size is only existing, because is OBS is used also for SUSE Linux Enterprise
and a variete of further SUSE and Novell products and services.

This is of course another good reason to rename it away from "openSUSE", but
SUSE/Novell as company is the main developer (and openSUSE is just a user in
first place so far regarding the efforts), so we need to sync with our
buisiness folks here.

One of them (Kurt Garloff) made actually a suggestion some month ago to rename
it to "OBS Build Service". This is in the tradition of the Gnu tools and also
rpm (RedHat Package Manager -> rpm package manager) is a good example.
It also strength the "OBS" term itself IMHO.

I personally like this suggestion and would slightly prefer it to open-build-
service (but I have no strong opinion here). But you may want to discuss it on
FOSDEM.

Btw, when we have finally decided about a new name, I would use the new DNS
name to present OBS as technology and of course link to some real life
instances. But it would be not the same as build.o.o, which is the openSUSE
instance.

* OBS as term itself is actually less import for the end users. They
just
see the result. A reason why the "PPA" term from ubuntu is so intrusive.

True, for end-users the whole thing is very different. But this was mostly
prompted by the issue with explaining this to packagers and other more
technical people...

But the idea behind this is to get users first and convert some of them to
packagers afterwards ;)

And every packager is anyway a user, so he will have first contact with this.
Esp. when comming from a non-SUSE distro and gets surprised via some web page
that software.opensuse.org also offers for his distro stuff ;)

IMHO we need to finished this feature ASAP:
https://features.opensuse.org/310109

and we need to find a cool and marketing-able name for (similar to

1-click- install). This would reach way more people (in best case also
some non openSUSE users) and we have the chance in the second step to
educate them also better about OBS. We will grow afterwards.

This feature just waits for a web developer since a longer time
creating

a good proposal. The pure coding part will be realtive minimal, I think.

Awesome idea for sure, and yes, it needs a good marketing name :D

Have fun on FOSDEM

Thanks. We'll miss you...

adrian
SUSE Linux Products GmbH