Re: [opensuse-buildservice] one click install for fedora, mandrivia
  • From: Robert Xu <robxu9@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Nov 2010 16:46:21 -0500
On Thu, Nov 25, 2010 at 16:18, Kai-Uwe Behrmann <ku.b@xxxxxx> wrote:
Am 25.11.10, 16:02 -0500 schrieb Robert Xu:

On Thu, Nov 25, 2010 at 15:25, Kai-Uwe Behrmann <ku.b@xxxxxx> wrote:

Am 25.11.10, 16:26 -0000 schrieb Andrew Wafaa:

On Thu, 2010-11-25 at 10:10 -0600, Paul Elliott wrote:

I have not used this feature in so long I have forgotten
how do you set up mandrivia, fedora so that one click
install works? Where is this documented?

When I tried it, it gave me a dialog that let me download
a ymp file. What do I do with this file?

I'm not so sure that they support the 1Click mechanism, I think you'll
find it is an openSUSE/SLE feature only.

As for the downloaded ymp you can open it in any editor that can cope
with xml and then extrapolate the repository and package requirements
from there.  Those distros don't understand the information being
passed.

The yum mechanism might be not supported.
However Fedora thierd party repositories[1] use RPMs[2] containing thre
repository and the according verification signatures.

Supporting these kind of RPMs general for all projects on OBS level would
expectedly make OBS even more popular.

Fedora and Mandriva do not support One-Click Install; That feature is
provided by YaST.

Yes, thats correct about One-Click Install. But I think adding OBS
repoitories to Fedoras package management system is still related.

Well, of course it's related. There's no way for a user to get his
updates without the repository.

Remember currently is only the one per one RPM install possible. No
dependencies are tracked. With the outlined repository RPM the selected OBS
repo can be added to the Fedora package manager. Dependencies are tracked
and thats much more convenient and appears in line with Fedoras package
management system.

Why don't you just grab the generated .repo file...
and throw it in /etc/yum.repos.d?

You may want to create a package, ex. "yourpackage-meta", that
Requires all the packages needed.

Not shure if this is really useful. E.g. the Oyranos stack has many
dependencies and optional features. Do a Gnome user need the KDE front end
or stay with an light wight substitute. Shall the complete Oyranos stack be
installed and include the compiz plugin and then compiz itself? IMHO
"yourpackage-meta" would not be a general solution. For some project it
might work.

Then create several. But if you want a metapackage, that's the only way atm.
Feel free to try something else, like Patterns.

Add the following line to your configuration:

Patterntype: comps ymp

Then grab osc and create a pattern.

OBS will generate comps-style and ymp-style pattern configuration.
Fedora can use comps, SuSE can use YMP.

In Fedora and Mandriva, you must add the repository first before being
able to use the pattern.
Mandriva does the "yourpackage-meta" solution, complain to them if you
do not like it.

kind regards
Kai-Uwe Behrmann
--