Re: [opensuse-buildservice] some thoughts on streamlining obs
  • From: <doiggl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2010 23:04:12 +1000
On Wed, 8 Sep 2010 16:14:19 -0400, Greg Freemyer <greg.freemyer@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
On Wed, Sep 8, 2010 at 10:36 AM, Dominique Leuenberger
<Dominique.Leuenberger@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 09/08/2010 at 4:26 PM, <doiggl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
- I presume one of these is set up/removed  for each of the packages
in a
users project when time comes to compile the package.
- If that is done on-disk that would use alot of elapsed I/O time.
That
would add up over time for the many thousands of packages built.

If that is the case, could a buildroot location be set in ram-memory
and a
symbolic link setup be done to connect the users package and the
memory
location.
The package built on faster ram instead of using slower disk if disk
is
used.  Quicker to setup and cleanup the start and end of each
process.

The reason I asked was would it help the through-put turnaround time
of
jobs submitted.
Just my 20cents worth
Cheers Glenn

I do use that on my own host for local builds, mainly with a tmpfs
pointing to /var/tmp/build-root.

Out of curiosity I thought I could time this here...

so: without tmpfs (physical IO):

time osc build
real    0m52.067s
user    0m31.046s
sys     0m4.868s

With tmpfs (4GB.. so if it ever requires more, bad luck):
time osc build
real    0m24.708s
user    0m15.237s
sys     0m2.448s

Certainly not the most interesting package to win time, but yes,
generally it saved me 50% of time in this case.

Dominique

Could say one of the smaller buildservice's be converted across say
build19 (x86_64) or build16 (x86_64) and see how it goes as a proof of
concept and measure any throughput changes.
Glenn