Re: [opensuse-buildservice] Can we please get ARM builds for 11.3+1?
  • From: Martin Mohring <martinmohring@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 01 Jul 2010 02:09:45 +0200
Stephan Kleine wrote:
On Thursday July 1 2010 01:39:36 Martin Mohring wrote:

Thank you very much for your input Martin.

Jan Engelhardt wrote:

On Wednesday 2010-06-30 18:48, Stephan Kleine wrote:

So, from the top of my head:

1. am I correct that OBS is already able to build for ARM but it is
slow due to cross compilation being needed?

2. What is possible to speed that up - e.g. how do the Meego folks do
this?

Using real hardware.

Not needed with the OBS solution. The complete MeeGo or openSUSE ARM
port never saw any real HW before its first boot. That was after the
first build.

The issue that was raised is that ARM would need cross compilation which
takes
too much time (read as in would bind the limited OBS resources for too long)
when building Factory for ARM. How do you (the MeeGo people) handle this?
E.g.
do you merely cross compile too or did you figure out some fancy tricks to
speed up compilation for ARM on x86?

Cross build with cross real cross compilation is about 60-95% of the
native compile performance of i586.

The openSUSE 11.2 port used this. So need to wait for QEMU emulators
running compilers. All that works since more than 1 year. It just needs
to be reactivated for Factory on openSUSE.

But to get openSUSE really working on ARM substantially, lots of not
building or working packages need to be fixed. And that is *REAL WORK*.

And because of dependencies, lots of packages will never build until
some depending packages do work. Just to name one: Java.

And then, if they are building, you need to get them also working.

This is a fultime job for many months. JSM and me needed 5+ months on
openSUSE 11.2 to fix the basics, e.g. 500+ packages. To get the complete
distro working, you can estimate up.

To get the distro itself not only building but passing QA, its much more
work. You can see it with the MeeGo project how many people do the
distro packaging there.

That was also the reason I think why for example arches like PowerPC
were dropped from list of released versions for openSUSE.

Maybe Adrian can tell numbers what it takes to do an arch until QA and
Release.

Martin