Re: [opensuse-buildservice] build loops and/or really excessive rebuilds
  • From: Adrian Schröter <adrian@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2010 16:38:21 +0100
Am Montag, 15. März 2010 16:28:52 schrieb Jon Nelson:
On Mon, Jan 18, 2010 at 9:10 AM, Adrian Schröter <adrian@xxxxxxx> wrote:
Am Montag, 18. Januar 2010 14:51:03 schrieb Jon Nelson:
I continue to have build loops (not actual loops) I can't explain.
They do eventually run themselves out, but sometimes I see packages
rebuild 30, 40, 100 or more times.
In some cases, there are explanations for why they might rebuild a few
times, but not 10 times much less over a hundred.

For example, one package in x86_64 has rebuilt (around) 47 times in
the last 3 days. The jobhistory shows only 'rebuild counter'.

The package should have only rebuilt for i586, and in that case the
only explanation given by jobhistory is "meta change".

have a look in the package reason (osc reason or just by looking in the
:reason
file on the server). It lists all changed packages which have triggered this
meta change

oh, wait ....

Several of the underlying dependencies did change over the last 3 days
(like glibc, gcc, etc...) however they all changed /at the same time/.
What I mean by that is that the source repository received a dozen or
more updated rpms (binary rpms) for i586 *only* - I expected that this
would cause each package to rebuild, but not once for each changed
dependency - that seems just silly since after the first rebuild all
subsequent rebuilds are using the exact same sources.

I am using obs rpms with version 1.6.0-7.2.

... you need to have an obs 1.7 to have the logging of the "reason".

Today it was brought to my attention that the OBS server I manage was
building lots of packages for an unknown reason.
I can't find a reason in the logs (which aren't time-stamped per an
earlier email, making this sort of things much more difficult).

I am now using 1.7.2, and I still seem to only have "meta change"
listed in jobhistory.

I am using osc 0.125.5

Where should I be looking?

Details are logged in the package. Run for example

# osc triggerreason openSUSE:Factory bc standard x86_64
meta change
changed keys:
added bison/rpm/lua-devel/readline-devel
removed rpm/lua-devel/readline-devel

tells you the binary package dependency path which have changed
compared to the former build.

SUSE Linux Products GmbH