Re: [opensuse-buildservice] build loops and/or really excessive rebuilds
  • From: Adrian Schröter <adrian@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2010 15:10:11 +0100
Am Montag, 18. Januar 2010 14:51:03 schrieb Jon Nelson:
I continue to have build loops (not actual loops) I can't explain.
They do eventually run themselves out, but sometimes I see packages
rebuild 30, 40, 100 or more times.
In some cases, there are explanations for why they might rebuild a few
times, but not 10 times much less over a hundred.

For example, one package in x86_64 has rebuilt (around) 47 times in
the last 3 days. The jobhistory shows only 'rebuild counter'.

We deliver the obs in default config that i586 and x86_64 packages should
always
have the same release number. This means, if it builds for one architecture,
the other one gets triggered as well.

If you done like this, define this in your BSConfig.pm to have seperate pools:

our $relsync_pool = {
"i586" => "i586",
"x86_64" => "x86_64",
}

The package should have only rebuilt for i586, and in that case the
only explanation given by jobhistory is "meta change".

have a look in the package reason (osc reason or just by looking in the :reason
file on the server). It lists all changed packages which have triggered this
meta change

oh, wait ....

Several of the underlying dependencies did change over the last 3 days
(like glibc, gcc, etc...) however they all changed /at the same time/.
What I mean by that is that the source repository received a dozen or
more updated rpms (binary rpms) for i586 *only* - I expected that this
would cause each package to rebuild, but not once for each changed
dependency - that seems just silly since after the first rebuild all
subsequent rebuilds are using the exact same sources.

I am using obs rpms with version 1.6.0-7.2.

... you need to have an obs 1.7 to have the logging of the "reason".

bye
adrian

SUSE Linux Products GmbH