Re: [opensuse-buildservice] Pruning builds to conserve build power?
  • From: Greg Freemyer <greg.freemyer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 11 Aug 2009 19:21:48 -0400
Resend, to list this time, not just Lars.

On Tue, Aug 11, 2009 at 8:58 AM, Lars Marowsky-Bree<lmb@xxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi,

I'm not sure whether this has been given some thought yet.

But it seems that there's an awful lot of build power "wasted" to
rebuild packages that don't have users (anymore), or a lot of _links
around which are no longer used etc.

Is there possibly some way to prune them from blocking the rebuild power
of the system?

Low-key solution: require that each "build & publish" bit is refreshed
manually every N weeks?

Regards,
   Lars

Something similar was mentioned recently and I was one of several
against it from a end-user perspective.

At a minimum it should be download activity that marks a project
inactive, not packager activity. Even better a lack of both downloads
and packager activity would be the best indicator.

ie. What if the project is stable and packager simply has nothing to
do, but is useful and is getting downloaded. Why should the project
no longer be built against the latest sources?

Also, is there a way to significantly drop the priority of these
packages in the build sequence instead of totally shutting them down?
Maybe have a "green" server that does not generate lots of heat just
for compiling these low priority jobs?

Greg
--
Greg Freemyer