Re: [opensuse-buildservice] Debian/Ubuntu Repository structure
  • From: Martin Mohring <martin.mohring@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2009 02:26:55 +0100
Hi,

you wont believe it, but i discussed exactly that already with an ubuntu
build system (launpad) developer already.

I will give you our combined answer - in my next e-mail reply...

Martin

Michael Schroeder wrote:
Hi build service folks,

I'm trying to make the repositories the build service creates
for debian and ubuntu more similar to what people expect.

I need some advice to find the best solution. Here are some
ideas to consider:

doourl = download.opensuse.org/repositories/

1) current layout:

/Packages.gz

apt-get entry:
deb doourl/<project>/<repository> /

issues:
- non-standard layout, no pooling
- Packages.gz not architecture dependent

2) packages pooled
/Packages.gz

apt-get entry:
deb doourl/<project>/<repository> /

questions:
- shall we omit the "pool" directory?

3) multiple Packages.gz files for architectures
no softlink solution:

apt-get entry:
deb doourl/<project>/<repository> main main

issues:
- the "main main" thing is confusing.

4) multiple Packages.gz files for architectures
softlink solution:

doourl/<project>/dists -> . (softlink)

apt-get entry:
deb doourl/<project> <repository> main

issues:
- mirrors might have problems with dist symlink
- dist symlink is at "repository" level, needs changes
in mirror-push scripts

the apt-get entry seems to be most debian like

Note also that "real" debian has the pool at "project" level, i.e.
doourl/<project>/pool/<pkg>/pkg.deb

I don't think this can be done in the build service, as multiple
repositories can create different packages with the same name.

Any comments?

Thanks,
Michael.