Re: [opensuse-buildservice] Colons considered harmful: escaping?LD_LIBRARY_PATH in OBS projects
  • From: Michael E Brown <Michael_E_Brown@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 9 Jan 2009 13:16:53 -0600
On Thu, Jan 08, 2009 at 09:32:30AM +0100, Michal Vyskocil wrote:
On Wednesday 07 of January 2009 14:39:35 Pavol Rusnak wrote:
Juergen Weigert wrote:
Yes, this is best for representing the structure in a filesystem.

I'm not really sure. Real-life example:

Project devel-tools contains cflow, dwarves, exmap packages. It also
contains subprojects devel:tools:building, devel:tools:compiler,
devel:tools:scm. If you checkout the whole tree, you'll end with this
structure:

/devel/tools/building
/devel/tools/cflow
/devel/tools/compiler
/devel/tools/dwarves
/devel/tools/exmap
/devel/tools/scm

I really like the proposal to simply always checkout with s/:/\//.

I suppose that the .osc/ dir in each directory can tell if the dir is a project
or a package. You could simply use this suggestion with one small tweak. For
projects where a subproject and a package collide in the namespace, simply
disambiguate them with prefixes or suffixes. Here is one example, given pkgA,
pkgB, pkgC and subprojects prjA, prjB, pkgC.

/home/michael_e_brown/pkgA/
/home/michael_e_brown/pkgB/
/home/michael_e_brown/pkg-pkgC/
/home/michael_e_brown/prjA/
/home/michael_e_brown/prjB/
/home/michael_e_brown/prj-pkgC/

Or, using a suffix:

/home/michael_e_brown/pkgA/
/home/michael_e_brown/pkgB/
/home/michael_e_brown/pkgC.pkg/
/home/michael_e_brown/prjA/
/home/michael_e_brown/prjB/
/home/michael_e_brown/pkgC.prj/

Or, using suffixes for everything (which I'm not in favor of, but it has a
certain symmetry).

/home/michael_e_brown/pkgA.pkg/
/home/michael_e_brown/pkgB.pkg/
/home/michael_e_brown/pkgC.pkg/