Re: [opensuse-buildservice] Build service is borked - again
  • From: Andrew Beekhof <abeekhof@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2008 14:32:55 +0100

On Nov 28, 2008, at 1:43 PM, Adrian Schröter wrote:

On Freitag 28 November 2008 13:27:43 Andrew Beekhof wrote:
All jobs in
https://build.opensuse.org/project/monitor?project=home%3Abeekhof
were in the "finished' state for nearly an hour.

The x86_64 are okay, because the scheduler was reloading to take the new code
we need. (this takes about two hours with the size of our service). We do this
for this reason per architecture, so only one is hanging for a while.

The i586 scheduler has processed it meanwhile, I saw that it had more than
2000 medium events some hours ago (means that it has to recalculate 2000
project repositories due to changed packages). If you can provide a patch
which makes this faster, I am happy to apply. (small sidenote, a compiler
which compiles the entire distribution instantly would be also appricated :).

You're missing the point.
This is not about scheduler reloads taking too long.

They're necessary, we get that... they take a while, we get that too... just tell us when they (and other maintenance events) are happening.

Preferably in advance so we can plan around an expected outage, but even telling us (via email or a status page update) after the event helps a great deal because at least we know that what we're seeing is expected and we should go do something else for the next few hours.

The current information vacuum is causing a lot of frustration.