Re: [opensuse-buildservice] recursive project reference
  • From: Adrian Schröter <adrian@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2008 09:42:15 +0100
On Donnerstag 20 November 2008 09:37:55 John Kelly wrote:
On Thu, 20 Nov 2008 09:13:21 +0100, Adrian Schröter <adrian@xxxxxxx>

wrote:
If I use a recursive project reference, is OBS smart enough to break a
loop, or will it explode?

Yes, it does break a loop. But it really hurts the scheduler and our logs.
And it does make absolut no sence to have a setup like this. When you need
anyway both repos, you can put them together in one project.

What I need is not so simple. As I posted earlier, I want to build a
rollup release including all updates, plus my own package hacks, and I
want to bootstrap the whole thing from source.

Somewhere the docs say the current project is searched first. That
may be true for dependencies, but through trial and error, I learned
that's false for the package itself. When it's already built, and you
manually trigger a rebuild, hoping to bootstrap it against itself,
that does not work. OBS searches down the chain, and ignores the
package in the current project.

You need to classify such package as "Keep: $your_package_name" in the project
configuration to get this.

After trying different ideas, I can see OBS was not designed with the
idea of easily building a rollup release.

Hey, how do you think we are building our openSUSE releases inside of it ? ;)

bye
adrian