Re: [opensuse-buildservice] RFC: small patch for "osc commit" with big effect
  • From: Peter Poeml <poeml@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 21 May 2008 16:38:03 +0200
Hello Dominique,

On Tue, May 20, 2008 at 03:07:37PM +0200, Dominique Leuenberger wrote:
so about enforcing the commit messages: I'm perfectly in favor of if... BUT
with a small extension: the .changes files should be updated in the same
moment (or the api should use this info for the %changelog)

Otherwise we start to make the same changes over and over: in the .changes,
in the commit message, and most likely this will lead to useless comments,
like 'see changelog' ;)

Yes and no.

The package changelog is often quite different from the commit
changelog.

Just like the difference between svn changelog and package changelog. Of
course they _might_ be the same, but nobody would argue that this is
always the case (or even in the majority), and that the two changelogs
are redundant.

Package changelog is for users of your package. Commit changelog is for
users of the source code revision control system used by the build
service.

Having some automatic that transports changes forth and back may make
sense in some cases. I'm looking forward to suggestions/implementations.

Peter

SUSE LINUX Products GmbH
Research & Development