Re: [opensuse-buildservice] kernel packages and projects with only binaries
  • From: Adrian Schröter <adrian@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 8 May 2008 16:37:40 +0200
On Thursday 08 May 2008 14:49:54 wrote Donavan Pantke:
On Thursday 08 May 2008 01:53:15 am Adrian Schröter wrote:
On Thursday 08 May 2008 06:53:31 wrote Donavan Pantke:
Hi guys,

I'm trying to generate some KMP packages for some HP drivers. In order
to handle different possible kernels, I wanted to setup some small
projects

house the individual kernel packages and use those as repos to build
the KMP. However, I ran into a snag: the KMP's imbed the full version
string

of

the kernel package it was built against.

Yes and the reason for this is that kernel interfaces can become

incompatibel,

even when the version number is not changing. I know this is not nice and
unique to the kernel package, but it is a kernel/packaging issue, not an
OBS issue.

With the way the build service has
to control release numbers to perform builds, this makes for an

interesting

incompatibility. What I'd like to do is to is setup the project similar
to a distribution repo, where the packages are simply indexed and no
packages are configured, dependencies are just provided. However, this
option is only available when I have control over the OBS server. Is
there any way I can setup something similar on b.o.o?

The OBS increases always the release number for every build, it is
possible

change this, but it will not help you here. Because the release/version
number requires gets defined by rpm macros defined in kernel-source
package.

That would mean that you need to compile also own kernel packages
yourself, and I do not think that this is your goal.

I understand the reasons, what I'm curious about doing is something akin of
a distribution setup on a local OBS, where I define a project with no
packages, and drop the kernel packages in /srv/obs/build, and let the
scheduler build the cache information, and be done with it. The only
difference is that these projects would have a downstream build repository
defined. Is this not really doable on b.o.o?

It is not possible for you with the instance at opensuse.org, because we
consider it as a feature that we do not allow binary uploads, just source
uploads.

But you can do so with your own instance. All what you need is direct access
to your backend repository server. You can upload a package with

curl -X PUT -T $local_file
http://your_server:6262/build/$project/$repository/$arch/_repository/$filename

This uploads a local file to the rep server. The scheduler will see this and
trigger rebuilds, if needed.

bye
adrian