Re: [opensuse-buildservice] Adding Build-service function to Eclipse! Any suggestions?
  • From: Adrian Schröter <adrian@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2008 02:19:13 +0200
On 2008-04-28 16:48:31 +0200, Adrian Schröter wrote:
On Monday 28 April 2008 16:40:57 wrote Rodrigo Moya:
On Wed, 2008-04-23 at 15:09 -0400, Michael Hutchinson wrote:
Sorry for replying without context; I only joined the mailing list
after the first few messages in this thread...

I'm particularly interested in the planning of this project and the
GNOME build service client, as I'm planning to implement similar
functionality in MonoDevelop, the Mono (C# etc) IDE. Hence if we
could share ideas, plans, designs and other information, that would
be great. It's a shame all three of us are using different runtimes,
as this means we can't share code directly :-/

yes, I think we should consider sharing the client implementation as
much as possible, so I see 2 solutions:

* write a C library and create bindings from it
* write a D-Bus daemon that can be contacted via any D-Bus bindings

for the GNOME client we were planning to use the OSC API, since we'll
be using pygtk, but since the Java and Mono clients are not able to use
it and so need to write their own client lib, I think we could use some
of the SoC student's time to work on this shared layer, couldn't we?

Reading this, I wonder why we need a standard library for the api at all.

Not that I am against it, but which functionality should go into it. I
think most should be implemented on the api.o.o side.

Pure http connect should be available in every development enviroment
these days.

Can you give some examples what kind of functionality makes sense to have
in a common application library ?

A common library would make sense for things like working with project dirs
and package dirs etc. This should be done in a "unique" way e.g. it
wouldn't make sense if each client has its own subdir (osc -> .osc, client1
-> .client1...).

indeed, that makes much sense.

bye
adrian