Re: [opensuse-buildservice] End Of Life: SUSE Linux 10.1 and Fedora 6
  • From: Adrian Schröter <adrian@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2008 16:48:28 +0200
On Tuesday 15 April 2008 16:31:54 wrote Detlef Steuer:
On Tue, Apr 15, 2008 at 02:01:38PM +0200, Dirk Stoecker wrote:
* SUSE Linux 10.1

Well, I have some hardware which simply refused to work under anything
newer than 10.0 . That already drove me crazy for days and days.

The minimum for such an announcement would be a timeline and enough
warning in advance. You still did not tell the timeframe we are talking
about.

10.0 is end of live. Ok. Removing 10.1. Nah.

10.1 will not get removed before it is end of live. But this is near. So take
this as an heads up and copy the content, in case you want to keep it.

Nevertheless: Removing the base distribution for 10.0 I consider doing the
wrong thing. As long as my tools build against a distribution users should
be able to access and use it. I must admit, I thought that was what the
build service was designed for: Providing a platform for volunteers to
improve the software installation experience for their (und therefore
YOUR) users.

and it still does that. But it is no Auto-fix-all-my-security-problems tool.
And please keep in mind that to redesign security patches for old software can
be quite some work.

This is really not a build service question, but a general openSUSE question.
You can discuss here to promote software with known security holes, but it
will not have much effect...

And let me say this again, it is complete okay to keep it, when you find
people who want to maintain it here. Last time I asked, no one stand up.

bye
adrian