Re: [opensuse-buildservice] ANN: Yet Another Build Service Client
  • From: James Oakley <jfunk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 5 Mar 2008 15:59:48 -0400
On March 5, 2008, Dr. Peter Poeml wrote:
I once wrote a graphical application, and I found wxPython most pythonic
to work with... but I'm not generally to trust when it comes to
graphical applications ;)

I learned Qt long before Python, and I really like it. I think the signal/slot
mechanism is brilliant. The data model stuff in Qt4 is also very cool, and
eliminates the ListView/ListItem stuff that annoyed me in previous releases.

Unfortunately, some of the things that makes Qt great in C++ can get in the
way in Python. You have to do some things the Qt way, especially with strings
and lists. This can result in excessive casting.

I've tried wx before, but I didn't really like it. That was probably mostly
due to my previous Qt experience, but I have noticed that compatibilty gets
broken a lot between releases. It seems that every time I try a wx app, the
wx on my system is either too old or too new.

I would say that Tk is probably the most Pythonic toolkit, but the widgets are
pretty bare-bones and I prefer signals/slots to callbacks.

Of course, I spend most of my time writing network code, so I'm probably not
the best person to ask. :-)

--
James Oakley
jfunk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx