Re: [opensuse-buildservice] POST vs GET, and another comment on New Design
  • From: Andreas Bauer <abauer@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 08 Nov 2007 17:46:02 +0100
John Pye wrote:
Hi Pascal

Pascal Bleser wrote:
John Pye wrote:
A bit of an issue with the search pages on http://build.opensuse.org is
that they use the HTTP 'POST' method for the search query. This means
than when using the 'back' button to return the list of search results,
Firefox asks me if I want to re-post the query again, or cancel the
request. The preferred approach is to use HTTP GET as it allows the
browser to cache results, and makes web usability much better.
John, seems you can also do HTTP GET (it hides in "Permanent link to
this result"):
http://software.opensuse.org/search?p=1&q=amarok&baseproject=openSUSE%3A10.3

My comment actually referred to the Build Service search, which I
believe may be separate to the 'software.opensuse.org' search. But in
any case, the problem seems to have been fixed in the new layout. The
page https://build.opensuse.org/search uses method="GET" instead of "POST".

But I note that there no longer is a search box on every page. I would
personally like to see the search box brought back: there's plenty of
room for it in the right-side of the page header, and it's a really
useful feature, and it saves clicks.

The search form was removed mainly because it caused problems when one tried
to search when he wasn't logged in. POST parameters aren't preserved during the
ichain login process, so the search always produced errors in this case.

This is solved by switching to GET for the search forms (thanks for the hint by
the way), now the parameters are part of the URL and are stored during logging
in, so we can bring back the search form.

Andreas