Re: [opensuse-buildservice] POST vs GET, and another comment on New Design
  • From: John Pye <john@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 07 Nov 2007 20:43:55 +1100
Hi Pascal

Pascal Bleser wrote:
John Pye wrote:
A bit of an issue with the search pages on http://build.opensuse.org is
that they use the HTTP 'POST' method for the search query. This means
than when using the 'back' button to return the list of search results,
Firefox asks me if I want to re-post the query again, or cancel the
request. The preferred approach is to use HTTP GET as it allows the
browser to cache results, and makes web usability much better.

John, seems you can also do HTTP GET (it hides in "Permanent link to
this result"):
http://software.opensuse.org/search?p=1&q=amarok&baseproject=openSUSE%3A10.3

My comment actually referred to the Build Service search, which I
believe may be separate to the 'software.opensuse.org' search. But in
any case, the problem seems to have been fixed in the new layout. The
page https://build.opensuse.org/search uses method="GET" instead of "POST".

But I note that there no longer is a search box on every page. I would
personally like to see the search box brought back: there's plenty of
room for it in the right-side of the page header, and it's a really
useful feature, and it saves clicks.

A bookmarklet would look like this:
http://software.opensuse.org/search?p=1&q=%s&baseproject=openSUSE%3A10.3

Always using HTTP GET instead of POST on the form would make it a little
more straightforward though (just search, bookmark the result, and edit
the bookmark to use a placeholder (%s) for a bookmarklet).

About bookmarklets and bookmark keywords in Firefox:
http://mozillanews.org/index.php3?article=55
(works in Konqueror too)

And here for further details:
http://dev-loki.blogspot.com/2007/11/opensuse-package-search-bookmarklets.html

But OpenSearch support would be nice as well :)
http://www.opensearch.org/Home
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenSearch

I've quickly hacked openSearch configurations (XML) for the openSUSE
Build Service (10.3 and 10.2):
http://linux01.gwdg.de/~pbleser/files/opensearch/

I got an error:

XML Parsing Error: not well-formed
Location:
http://linux01.gwdg.de/~pbleser/files/opensearch/openSUSE_Build_Service_10.3.xml
Line Number 8, Column 55:

template="http://software.opensuse.org/search?p=1&q={searchTerms}&baseproject=openSUSE%3A10.3";>
--------------------------------------------------------------------^

(Packman and Webpin already have it on their site but I copied it there
as well)
Doesn't work with Konqueror as of now (which is quite sad as it's an
open standard) but with Firefox, just go the the URL above and there you
can add search engines to Firefox' search field (the search field should
be highlighted with a drop-down arrow from where you can select which
ones to add).

Have a look at the openSearch XML files and the source of the page at
the URL above to see how it's implemented (it's very simple, really).

Cheers
JP