Re: [opensuse-buildservice] Re: How secure is openSUSE build service?
  • From: Aniruddha <mailing_list@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 02 Nov 2007 12:08:36 +0100

On Thu, 2007-11-01 at 22:58 -0500, Rajko M. wrote:
You can see it for yourself:

Last Update: 23:01:39 01 Nov 2007
Number of Categories: 151
Number of Packages: 11966
Number of Ebuilds: 25243

http://pebuilds.peschke.us/

I see 16 architectures, not only x86 and each gives same number of
Categories, Packages and Ebuilds, ie. that is summary for whole repository.

There are 11966 each with different ebuilds for different versions,
hence the ebuild count of 25243. You can verify that for yourself by
checking the ebuilds (e.g. http://gentoo-portage.com/app-cdr/kiso )
Gentoo even hosts all mods for ut2004/2003:
http://gentoo-portage.com/games-fps

Finally found:
http://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-project/2007-09/msg00074.html

Hey thanks! This has been a great read. I noticed a few things:

-openSUSE core has far more packages than I thought (6412). This is
roughly the same as PCLinuxOS offers. Only PCLinuxOS apparently offers a
beter package selection since there is no need to look outside the
standard repository.

In other words I do think that an reevaluation of the core packages
could greatly enhance openSUSE functionality. Why not put libxine on the
openSUSE servers (not on the cd) and let user decide themselves if they
are legally entitled in using it? There is nothing wrong with that.

-However I do feel that the real problem is that Novell keeps acces to
the core packages to themselves. I think it would be far better to setup
a structure to attract developers from the community (we have enough
quality packagers) and to let them maintain (maybe with the aid of
Novell devs) the openSUSE core packages. Ideally this would blend the
Packman repository with the openSUSE core packages.

What is the best way to propose this to Novell? Is a bugreport the best
way? Or maybe an e-mail?

--
Regards,

Aniruddha

Please adhere to the OpenSUSE_mailing_list_netiquette
http://en.opensuse.org/OpenSUSE_mailing_list_netiquette