[opensuse-buildservice] Re: How secure is openSUSE build service?
  • From: Guenter Dannoritzer <kratfkryksqq@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 01 Nov 2007 16:30:12 +0100
Aniruddha wrote:
[...]

Like I said; I trust the openSUSE package maintainers. I also trust
packman, vlc, Nvidia & ATI repo's. However I have trouble determining
whether I can trust certain (most notably the home:*) repositories. And
again this isn't a problem for me, but it can be for the unsuspecting
users that add repositories with '1-Clik'.

Right now I have the home:darix and the home:wberrier repos installed (I
thought because I wanted kiso). How can I determine if these are safe
repo's (not only in regard to malware but also in regard to breaking my
system, overwriting config files etc)?

At the end you always can go and ask the maintainers. Get a feeling how
long they have been doing the job. What guidelines are they following to
build the package. How do they make sure what they provide does not
break your system.

Cheers,

Guenter