Re: [opensuse-buildservice] Reorganize repositories ? (was: New openSUSE Buildservice Roadmap)
  • From: Adrian Schröter <adrian@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2007 09:45:52 +0100
On Wednesday 17 October 2007 18:53:41 wrote Pascal Bleser:
Klaas Freitag wrote:
on behalf of Adrian I am happy to annouce our roadmap for the upcoming
openSUSE Buildservice development here:
http://en.opensuse.org/Build_Service/Roadmap
It outlines the development targets until Q4 2008.
We're happy to get your feedback,

One task that is notably missing is the reorganization of the repositories.
Right now it's seriously starting to become a mess, I'm afraid :\

Marcus (Rueckert) mentioned on IRC that is was planned for after the
10.3 release rush phase.

Is it considered too little of a task to be listed on the Roadmap ? ;)
(if so, I'd strongly disagree ;))

Note that it also means discussing and finding guidelines about a few
things, most notably: repositories and packages by desktop environment
(KDE:*, GNOME:*) or by task (client:messaging, multimedia:photo) ?
Or some here and some there, as it is now ? (which is quite suboptimal IMO)

Please keep in mind that the organisation of the projects depends on the
wanted build enviroment. Packages/versions which can be reused in the build
enviroment or not. Additionaly it does also define the group of people with
write access to it.

It is NOT intended to setup the projects in a away to make it easier to find
packages, this needs to be done via different techniques like the
software.o.o/search interface.

As an example, gimp is in GNOME:STABLE, gqview is in multimedia:photo;
konversation is in KDE:KDE3, irssi in server:messaging.
Oh, yeah, and that's one of my pet peeves (Marcus knows about it ;)):
there are some obvious repositories/categories that are missing:
- client:messaging
- client:mail
- client:ftp
- system:utilities
(or move *:irc/* into *:messaging ? merge filesharing and client:ftp as
filetransfer ? etc...)

hm, maybe all client:* projects can be put into one ? Hm they have disappeared
already ;)

bye
adrian